Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: skin problem.............

 redstone - Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:25 pm

ok, i have a few of these little bumps. one on my bum,two the back of my shoulder ive had them for a long time....the one on my bum has been there for over a year maybe two. i did go to a doctor at the time however he wasnt really any help...long story..... anyway i thought they were ingrown hairs or zits or something, but they havent gone away and they havent changed they look just like a ingrown hair exept a little bigger and they they feel like a pimple to touch. i know i have to go to a doctor but this is a little difficut because i live in korea.....and to be entirly honest i don't really trust the doctors here....(eg.oral med's come in long chains of fizz candy like packets and you never know what they may contain...nor can you find out....) :? anyway any possibillity you could tell me what they might be?
:D thanks
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:20 pm

Visual examination and palpation are important in the investigation and diagnosis of dermatological lesions.

I therefore believe you will benefit from a visit to a dermatologist. If there is a University Teaching Hospital in the area where you are located in Korea, get checked at their Dermatology Unit. Teaching Hospitals have standards, and should be able to assist you. Can you provide close-up views of your skin lesions?

Dr Anthony Solomon
 swilson5663 - Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:33 am

I am no physician, but from your explanation it sounds alot like a condition that I also have - keratosis pilaris. It is simply cosmetic, but I know how irritating it can be. Therapeutic options include emollients, lactic acid, tretinoin cream, alpha-hydroxy acid lotions, urea cream, salicylic acid, and topical steroids. Mild cases may improve with emollients. I have found that the topical steroid prescribed to me by my physician has provided the best results however, as for at-home answers, Alpha Hydroxy creams - neostrata makes some good ones - did provide some improvement although it is an ongoing problem and does not go away after a single course of treatment. Seasonal changes may also exacerbate the situation - I find it tends to improve in summer and worse in the drier winter months. Look online for more answers - there is a wealth of reliable information on the internet.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:03 pm

Your input on our message boards is appreciated especially as this website is an educational and advisory forum. I personally do not advise any patient to accept treatment on the internet without an examination and diagnosis. I believe this person will be more confident with any treatment prescriptions if the skin problem is dermatologist-diagnosed and therefore known to him/her.

Dr Anthony Solomon

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us