Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Spot around mole, cancer?

boysangur - Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:44 pm

Over time, I have had this spot develop around a mole on my upper chest. It's more of a discoloration -the skin in the area is very pale- and when I suntan or something, it gets very pink. I showed it to a doctor and he said that it probably was not cancer since the outline of it was smooth. He recommended trying some anti-fungal creme. I calmed down and paid it no mind, thinking it would go away but it didn't Now, I'm thinking it's cancer again. It does not itch, and from what I can tell, it feels like regular skin. Attached is the photo. Please, someone provide an educated opinion as to what it most likely is.

Image
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:45 am

User avatar Hello,The photograph attached shows a halo nevus.This is benign and considered as an inflammatory response to a nevus.These occur generally on the chest.In contrast to melanoma there are no features like assymmetry,irregular borders,variegated colors, itch,bleeding or a large diameter of the nevus.There would be a white area surrounding which represents a reaction.(Halo).They are benign and no treatment necessary.In older individuals a biopsy is necessary to confirm.A dermoscopy would be essential just to be sure.A dermatologic opinion is necessary.
 boysangur - Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:53 pm

Thank you very much, Doctor. I appreciate your help.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:25 pm

User avatar Hello Boysangur,It has been nice interacting with you.Cheers!