Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Spot around mole, cancer?

boysangur - Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:44 pm

Hello,
Over time, I have had this spot develop around a mole on my upper chest. It's more of a discoloration -the skin in the area is very pale- and when I suntan or something, it gets very pink. I showed it to a doctor and he said that it probably was not cancer since the outline of it was smooth. He recommended trying some anti-fungal creme. I calmed down and paid it no mind, thinking it would go away but it didn't Now, I'm thinking it's cancer again. It does not itch, and from what I can tell, it feels like regular skin. Attached is the photo. Please, someone provide an educated opinion as to what it most likely is.

Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:45 am

User avatar Hello,The photograph attached shows a halo nevus.This is benign and considered as an inflammatory response to a nevus.These occur generally on the chest.In contrast to melanoma there are no features like assymmetry,irregular borders,variegated colors, itch,bleeding or a large diameter of the nevus.There would be a white area surrounding which represents a reaction.(Halo).They are benign and no treatment necessary.In older individuals a biopsy is necessary to confirm.A dermoscopy would be essential just to be sure.A dermatologic opinion is necessary.
Best wishes.
 boysangur - Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:53 pm

Thank you very much, Doctor. I appreciate your help.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:25 pm

User avatar Hello Boysangur,It has been nice interacting with you.Cheers!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us