Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: brown spot under right side eye

 ladyinred - Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:05 am

Hi there, I have a brown, itchy spot since the end of May. The feeling I get sometimes is similar to what I feel when a fly is landing on my face. I feel like scratching it. Sometimes I get the same feeling all over my nose skin. And I feel my nose sort of knotty. Since it appeared it did not grow, nor changed its color, but it is still bothering me. I wonder what it could be! Thank you!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:17 am

User avatar Hello,Though the description is not too clear,with some certainity I can say that this represents a Lentigo.Lentigo is a small pigmented macule surrounded by normal skin.Generally brown, it can shade to black rarely.Solar lentigenes are common in the whites.These occur on sun exposed areas like theface and arms.
Dermoscopic evaluation is essential.Dermascopy is non invasive and is just looking at these with a special lens.This test would help to differentiate from other more seious conditions like melanomas.
It is always prudent to keep a watch on pigmented lesions though they may be just as simple as a lentigo, which is benign.
Do consult you doctor to ascertain the diagnosis.
With my best wishes.
 ladyinred - Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:09 pm

Thank you!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us