Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Adhesive Allergic Reaction

 itchy24 - Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:08 am

I am allergic to the adhesive on medical tape and bandaids, ranging from a minimal to a severe reaction. I put a bandaid on my arm to protect a burn that had come open but was healing fine from dirt and grim. I took benadryl and took the bandaid off as soon as I could. However, I am now having a reaction to the bandaid, complete with a perfect outline of where the bandaid was. I have been taking benadryl plus my claritin, puttin hydrocortosone(?) cream on it, clean it several times a day with warm water and soap, and have even cleaned it with hydroperoxide. It still itches like crazy and the blisters aren't getting any better. What else can I do to relieve the symptoms?

Also, the rash is on the inside of my forearm where it rubs everything frommy shirt to picking things up. I have had worse reactions before just not this annoying.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:19 pm

User avatar Hello,Allergic contact dermatitis is a local reaction to contact sensitizers to which one one has already exposed to.The reaction is confined only to the area and acquires the shape of the object. eg band aid.Also the area of the body which has developed the reaction gives clue to the neck-jewelery.Certain occupations have their list of with hair dyes.
Treatment consists of application of corticosteroid cremes like hydro cortisone.Identification and avoidance of allergen is of paramount value.
Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us