Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Red, raised bump in pubic hair

 jmarken - Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:35 pm

Good afternoon. This morning I woke up and noticed a small (about pencil-eraser sized, or maybe pea-sized), raised red bump in my pubic region. Specifically, it is on what I guess you could call the pubic bone area – in the front, about halfway between my hairline and my lips. It does not itch, but is somewhat painful to the touch. At the top it sort of flattens out just a bit and there is a whitish spot. I am currently stuck at work and can’t get out to a doctor’s today, and I am leaving on a business trip on Monday. Any help in trying to figure out what this is and what I can do about it?
 Lisa K, RN - Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:17 pm

User avatar Hello,

Is this bump on an area of your skin where you've previously shaved? I ask because if so, it could be an ingrown hair (common for people who shave their pubic area). Does it look sort of like a pimple? Do you have any of these bumps anywhere else in your genital area? (have a good look).
 hockeyplayin89 - Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:10 pm

Well I have on in my pubic region. I have had this, I figured it was an ingrown hair when I was shaving, but I havent shaven in about a month. It is somewhat painful to the touch. It isn't a pimple and it has tiny hairs coming out of it. It can be pressed on but seems somewhat hard.

What do it do?

Thank you
 Johnnyflash - Tue May 19, 2009 12:19 am

I am experiencing the exact same symptons except I am a male and there is no white spot on the bump. I figured it was a razor bump but it's only one bump, and appears to be fairly firm when I tried a friends advise to squeeze it (which hurt to do). Anyone know what this is, let alone how to get rid of it?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:34 am

User avatar Hello,when infection is affecting the hair follicles it is known as folliculitis.Quite common after shaving the areas.Most of such would only require external application of antibiotic like mupurocin.Antiseptic soaps may be required to prevent recurrence.Hope this answers the question,have a nice day.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us