Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: pink bumps on scalp

maiden75 - Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:43 pm

I have a few little bumps on my scalp. They are pink and do not hurt at all, they just feel like moles or something. Any ideas as to what they are and if they are worrisome? Also, I have noticed that part of my scalp around the "crown" of the head is sensitive and feels just like it's sunburned, but I haven't been in the sun. It only hurts when I touch it or brush my hair in that area. Any ideas about that?? THANKS!! :D
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:38 pm

We have always stated on our message boards that it is impossible to diagnose dermatological lesions without an examination. Can you provide close-up views for visual examination?

However, the possibities in your case are:
1. pilar cysts (also known as wens) which occur almost exclusively in the scalp
2. epidermal inclusion cyst (also known as epidermoid cyst).

It is advisable to consult a dermatologist for confirmation.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine