Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Pain during and after sex

 jwm6142001 - Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:16 am

During sex the skin on my penis feels like it is tearing. One area is very sticky, and it remains this way constantly. Another area seems to be a small patch of scar tissue, and after sex it becomes very irritated. It develops into a large, red, swollen area, that is painful to the touch. There is also pain and irritation just from rubbing against my underwear while walking around. All areas develop a hard, clear, scab like covering that falls off in a couple days revealing a normal looking penis. Even though it looks normal, you can still feel the irritation at all times. Once I have sex again, the skin is again irritated. It doesn't matter if I wait a week to have sex or a month. The results are still the same. I have been prescribed steroid creams, as well as yeast infection creams by my doctor which quicken the healing process, but it does not stop the continuous irritation. I have also been using condoms, but these only offer minimal comfort. The itching, and irritation continues. I have been dealing with the sticky area that feels as if it tears during sex, but the small scar tissue area is really bothering me.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:22 pm

User avatar Hello,

Dermatological and gynecological evaluation are be important for you and your partner since Infections are one of the possible causes of your problem.

Till the diagnosis is reached you better follow protected sex measures as to use condom even if they provide you less improvement as you have mentioned.

Causes include:

- Traumatic injury due to very active intercourse or masturbation especially when enough lubrication is absent may cause the damage of the skin of the penis. The use of lubricants may help in such condition.

- Infections like Herpetic lesions and candida (thrush) may give similar clinical picture and result in redness, itching , and sometimes peeling of the skin.

Whenever one partner is infected, it is a must that both partners receive the treatment and avoid sex till recovered or at least use of condoms is recommended.

- Eczema and dermatitis as well as other skin diseases should be excluded and dermatological consultation should be done.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us