Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: spider bite or abscess

jlitt814 - Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:32 pm

So I have a painful area on my side that looks like an abscess. It has a small white bump at the center, there is a hard lump underneath about the size of a quarter, and a larger red area several inches in diameter. The lump area is painful to touch. I have been aware of this for two days. I had a nurse look at it and she said it was an abscess, however I am concerned that it may be a spider bite. I live with my parents, and my father had a spider bite two weeks ago, that looked like what I have. The doctor thought my dad initially had an abscess, but when then opened it up to drain there was necrotic tissue and said it was a spider bite. We have also found and killed a few brown recluse spiders around the house, and we live in Texas where brown recluse spiders are common. Do you think this could be a spider bite? Either way should I have it checked out by my doctor, and mention that my dad had a spider bite only two weeks ago. So far I have put warm compresses on it, and it hasn't gotten any better.
 DeLWolcott - Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:35 pm

Definitely get it checked out by your physician and mention your father's bite as soon as you can. It sounds as if it needs to be cleaned out no matter what has caused it.