Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Polycythemia?

Foxknob - Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:40 pm

I've had a few bouts with hypoglycemia lately. My doctor refered me to an endocrinologist and my blood test results came today. all were normal except for:
BUN - 25 (slighlty high)
Creatinine - 1.4 (slightly high)
Total Bilirubin - 1.52 (slightly high)
Alkaline Phosphatase - 29 (little low)

RBC - 5.80 (slighlty high)
HGB - 18.0 (High)
HCT - 51.9 (High)
MPV - 10.7 (slightly high)

My endocrinologist has suggested I talk to my family physician about these results. He says my blood is too thick and says this may be polycythemia.
Isn't this a form of Lukemia?
 SDD - Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:02 pm

Usually your primary care physician will refer you to a HEM/ONC physician if he/she suspects that you have polycythemia vera. The HEM/ONC doctor should be able to answer all of your questions and concerns.
 Dr. Shank - Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:37 pm

Dear Foxknob:

I note that your BUN and creatinine were elevated. Besides kidney disease, this may also be seen with volume depletion (such as if you did not drink anything for a while before your test.) Have the tests repeated, before you go off on what could be a wild goose chase.

The most common cause of a true elevated red blood cell count (erythrocytosis) is decreased oxygen levels. This is most commonly seen in smokers with lung damage or in people with sleep apnea. For about $50-80, a test of your oxygen levels overnight (recording pulse oximeter) can be performed.

If that is normal and you really do have an increase in your red blood cell count, then a hematologist consultatation would be reasonable, but you primary physician should go ahead and order an ultrasound, CT, or MRI of your kidneys to make sure that you do not have a kidney tumor (producing a hormone called erythropoetin).

Technically, polycythemia vera only refers to an increase in all blood cell lines, not just red blood cells.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us