Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Heat Intolerance

modechick - Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:32 pm

Since I was about 5 years old, I've never faired well in hot temperatures and that's understatement.

I work in a field of law that requires me to rifle through tons of medical reports and recently came across a person being diagnosed as heat intolerant. The medical did not elaborate as to what this was, but it sounds like a possible name for what I experience quite often.

When I get hot, my face turns bright red and feels like it's on fire. Then I begin to sweat profusely (literally buckets). After that, it progresses into a pounding headache that gets worse and worse. Evetually, the headache becomes so bad that it's paralyzing.
Usually I will then end of vomiting or experience dry heaving.
It takes quite awhile for me to get back to normal.

This is usually brought on by hot temperatures and/or exercise. Even temperatures that aren't hot for most will be incredibly uncomfortable for me. I seriously dred summer.

Is this what heat intolerance is? And if it isn't, then what's wrong with me? What can I do to stop this?

Sincerely,

Seriously Hot
 Dr. Russell M - Mon May 03, 2004 7:24 am

User avatar Hi!

Have you had your thyroid profiled?

bill
 modechick - Mon May 03, 2004 8:00 am

Thanks! I guess I'll look into that.

What should they be looking for?
 Dr. Russell M - Tue May 04, 2004 9:04 pm

User avatar Hi!

We're looking for hyperthyroidism when one can't tolerate heat. Though with your skin disorder, this may not be likely.

bill

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us