Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Question: Heat Intolerance

modechick - Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:32 pm

Since I was about 5 years old, I've never faired well in hot temperatures and that's understatement.

I work in a field of law that requires me to rifle through tons of medical reports and recently came across a person being diagnosed as heat intolerant. The medical did not elaborate as to what this was, but it sounds like a possible name for what I experience quite often.

When I get hot, my face turns bright red and feels like it's on fire. Then I begin to sweat profusely (literally buckets). After that, it progresses into a pounding headache that gets worse and worse. Evetually, the headache becomes so bad that it's paralyzing.
Usually I will then end of vomiting or experience dry heaving.
It takes quite awhile for me to get back to normal.

This is usually brought on by hot temperatures and/or exercise. Even temperatures that aren't hot for most will be incredibly uncomfortable for me. I seriously dred summer.

Is this what heat intolerance is? And if it isn't, then what's wrong with me? What can I do to stop this?

Seriously Hot
 Dr. Russell M - Mon May 03, 2004 7:24 am

User avatar Hi!

Have you had your thyroid profiled?

bill
 modechick - Mon May 03, 2004 8:00 am

Thanks! I guess I'll look into that.

What should they be looking for?
 Dr. Russell M - Tue May 04, 2004 9:04 pm

User avatar Hi!

We're looking for hyperthyroidism when one can't tolerate heat. Though with your skin disorder, this may not be likely.

bill