Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Normal Blood sugar levels?

 makenzie - Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:12 pm

My mom is 50 yrs old and was diagnosed with diabetes in Oct. 04, she is taking humalog and lantis. My question is what I need to be looking out for, she doesn't really eat , and doesn't watch her grams of carbs and eats chocolate and she drinks coffee and Dr. pepper and diet dp pretty much all day, never any water.. She smokes at least 6 cigarettes everyday. Her blood sugar levels stay from 175 up to 300, she checks it about 5 times a day, and sometimes when I've looked at her log it has been up to 490. I've seen it low only a few time, down to 47.So, I am very concerned, she has been depressed for about 4 yrs after losing her husband and goes to work and sleeps once she gets home and basically all day on the weekends. She is on antidepressents from her family healh care provider. I made an appt. for her to see an endocrinologist and made her go, I took her and they went over what she needs to do and when we left she was crying and said she wasn't going back. I have tried to show her everything so she won't be so overwhelmed but nothing works, so she does nothing. Over the past few days she has been told that she has lupus which affects you organs also such as kidneys etc. She is very tired all the time, has shaking spells and is out of it, so what do I need to be concerned about and watch out for and what would you recommend me doing? Thanks
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:36 am

User avatar Hi makenzie,
Although your mom has significant physical medical problems, it seems that she has also had psychological problems related to depression. A counselor's evaluation would be recommended. Since she has not adequately dealt with the loss of her husband, (gone through the greiving process) and it appears that she is in the state of mind that she doesn't care what happens to her. This does happen to some people in which they have had difficulty coping with a traumatic life changing event. Once this issue is dealt with and resolved, and she has the opportunity to realize that living doesn't have to stop because of the death of a loved one, then she will be better to deal with her own physical medical problems. Physical inactivity makes depression even worse, not to mention the affect it has on her already existing medical problems. It essentially causes worsening episodes of uncontrolled diabetes. The implications this has alone by nature, due to the fact that it is a systemic illness affecting all organs can have severe long term complications. I hope that counseling, by a professional, has been sought.
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us