Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Should I consider a thyroid scan?

lmm - Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:50 am

Hi!

I am 25 years old, and I was diagnosed hypothyroid in 2000 at the age of 20. A cause for the hypothyroidism was never identified and I have no known family history of thyroid disorders so this came as a surprise. My family has tossed around various theories, including the fact that I was subject to a few deep-skull x-rays as a child (in which it was uncertain if the administraors put the x-ray shield completely over my throat), whether it was caused by various antidepressants I have taken, by stress or just the result of some unknown family link.

Recently I was talking to a nurse friend who recommended that i have a thyroid scan done to be safe and make sure it wasn't cancer that caused the hypothyroidism. I hadnt thought of that since none of the endocrinologists I had seen around the time of diagnosis recommended it and they seemed unconcerned about the cause. I have had my thyroid palpated by several general practitioners and an ENT over the last year, but no nodules or lumps were detected. I am fairly unconcerned about the possibility of cancer since it has now been 5 years and nothing has indicated the presence of anything like that, but I am just curious about 3 things:
1) could deep-skull x-rays ever cause hypothyroidism?
2) how typical is it for thyroid scans to be performed in the absence of a palpable lump/nodule? and,
3) SHOULD i be taking this more serious and actually request a scan be done?

Many thanks for your time and advice!!
 ChristineVA - Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:51 am

I'm not expert but have had thyroid cancer. I did have a palpable lump and so I had a scan. The scan just confirmed it. A scan with not tell you if you have thyroid cancer, only if there are nodules and if the nodules function or don't function.

There can be no reason why a thyroid gland fails. But the biggest reason, I think, is Hashimoto's thyroiditis. This is an autoimmune disorder where the body attacks the thyroid gland and slowly damages the gland. I believe a blood test can detect it. As long as you don't have any palpable nodules, I would not worry. Lots of people get hypothyroidism and it's not really important why, just that it should be treated.

Oh, and yes, X-rays can cause some damage but these were the type of X-rays done in the 40s through the 60s for acne treatment. They are no longer done and, as far as I know, a few x-rays cannot cause this.
Christine
 lmm - Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:31 pm

Thanks a bunch for your response! It's very helpful.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us