Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Please Help!

 jokell - Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:24 pm

I am a 28 year old female. I am not overweight. Ever since last year when my body started retaining fluid I have been getting pains in my armpit and also in my neck, possibly my lymph nodes. The pains happen when I get strong emotional feelings, like angry, excited, nervous. The best way I can describe what it feels like is when you eat something really sour or tangy and you get that shooting pain kind of behind your ear? That is what it feels like in
my armpit. It doesn't last long at all and I don't have sore spots.

I was put on high blood pressure meds late last year that has a diuretic b/c of the pitting edema in my legs. The Dr. wasn't sure if the swelling was causing the high blood pressure or the other way around.

What could be causing this? Is it normal to feel your glands secrete???

Thanks in advance!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:52 am

User avatar Hello,

The causes of generalized edema are various.

Usually, they are related to:

1. Heart failure.
2. Liver failure.
3. Renal failure.
4. Lung failure.
5. Very bad nutritional status.

Some hormonal such as cushing's syndrome and primary hyperaldosteronism can also lead to generalized salt and water retention.

These causes should be ruled out first as they are obviously of great concern.

Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us