Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Question: Symptom Questions

Sucha_Jewel - Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:13 pm

I am a twenty year old woman from New York. For at least the last few months I have had an eraser sized bump on the back of my neck down, a little, and to the right of my ear, only on the left side (my GP believes it is a lymph node). Today, I touched under my chin and noticed the lymph nodes there are also eraser sized. My doctor did not believe the one on the back of my neck was a problem, because it has not grown and is not discolored or sore. It also does not throb or move.

I am beginning to get concerned because while the node on the back of my neck has stayed the same size, it has not gone away.

I have type one diabetes (my specialist is comfortable with my control; I rarely have a BG over 225), an anxiety disorder (which I take Paxil CR for), I have had mono, and I am a smoker (about a pack a day). I also get migraines, and lately have been random getting chills. For years, I have also gotten what I call “head rushes” (like when you eat something cold or stand up to quickly) when I am simply sitting still. I do not have a sore throat, but I do have a consistent sinus infection (I think) and a constant cough. I do not currently have a fever.

The only other issue I can think of is that last spring for a couple of weeks I have an eraser sized bumb on my armpit, which did go away.

I would like to know:
What could be the cause of my swelling?
Is there anything I ought to specifically be concerned about, or that I should bring up with my doctor (tests?)?
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:36 pm

Dear Sucha_Jewel,

Well, as a start you can do a neck U/S and duplex,it will give an idea about the nature of the lymph nodes...and as for blood tests,you can do a thyroid profile (TSH ,FT3 and FT4), LDH and a complete blood picture. let us try to explain the chills you have and headaches,ok?
The cause of the swelling can be inflammatory. Lymph nodes can swell as a result of any inflammation, after all they secrete cells resonsible for your immunity.