Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Do Hypers / Graves Process Beta Blockers Faster?

VegasQ - Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:58 pm

Hello. I have Graves, went into remission and seems it is returning again. My BP is good now on Propranolol 80mg a day at 115/70 and HR 70-85. I was told by a friend who is also hyper that hypers usually get prescribed 60mg twice a day becuase their bodies burn up propranolol faster than a normal person. Is that true? I was on 40mg and now 80mg (take 20 every 4-5 hours) but still have symptoms (shakiness, can't sleep etc.). Just curious how hypers process Propranolol and your opinion. (when I was major hyer years ago I was on 60mg twice a day).

Thanks!

Suz[/b]
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:54 pm

User avatar I do not believe that Grave's disease individuals process propranolol faster than others; however, it may take more medication to overcome symptoms because the hyperthyroid effects of Grave's disease increase.

Basically it is like a tug-of-war. As the Grave's disease begins to induce more hyperthyroid symptoms it takes more beta blocker to pull back and maintain a symptom free state.

I hope this helps. Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us