Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: a small lump in the side of neck

nado300 - Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:36 pm

Dear receiver, i'd like to thank you in advance for your time. Cutting to the chase, i noticed a pea-sized lump in the left side of my neck(afew cms below my ear) a few weeks ago. I didn't pay any real attention, but a about 2 weeks ago i felt some pain around it.I went to see an MD and she had me do a blood test.The tests came pretty normal. she asked me to wait 2 weeks and then if the lump didnt go away, she would perform a biopsy(FNS)...I'm kind of worried, especially that the blood picture was normal, and i didnt feel anymore pain in it since the first time i did. Do i really need to do the biopsy? If the blood tests are normal , what could be the problem that might have caused this lump to appear?
N.B. The lump hadn't changed in size since i first noticed it.
Thanks again for ur time.

Nada(21 years of age)
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:01 am

User avatar What you are describing sounds like a typical lymph node that has become somewhat enlarged and tender due to fighting off an infection.

The location for such a node fits where you are describing feeling it.

Typically, these nodes begin to shrink and the pain goes away after a few days to several weeks. The node may or may not shrink back down to its original size but the tenderness should go away.

Before doing a fine needle biopsy I would recommend giving it several weeks unless there is something about it that is concerning (such as being very hard and immobile or rapidly getting larger).

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us