Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Untreated hypothyroidism and pregnancy

cta - Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:12 pm

Hello,

I am 26 years old. Last year I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. My TSH level was 17. Two months ago, my TSH was 13. I was given to take Syntroid, but I did not take it. I read all kinds of reviews from patients who took this medicine and I got scared that I might not get pregnant. I even have 2 friends who have taken the medicine for the last 12 years and they never got pregnant, although they tried to. I did not try to get pregnant yet, but I would like to have a baby very soon.
My question is: what are the chances to get pregnant if I do not take the medicine and what would be the chances if I take them?

Thank you very much!
 Redd1973 - Sun May 06, 2007 11:43 pm

[quote="cta"]Hello,

I am 26 years old. Last year I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. My TSH level was 17. Two months ago, my TSH was 13. I was given to take Syntroid, but I did not take it. I read all kinds of reviews from patients who took this medicine and I got scared that I might not get pregnant. I even have 2 friends who have taken the medicine for the last 12 years and they never got pregnant, although they tried to. I did not try to get pregnant yet, but I would like to have a baby very soon.
My question is: what are the chances to get pregnant if I do not take the medicine and what would be the chances if I take them?

Thank you very much![/quote]

Dear cta,

I had questionable but "within normal range" thyroid test results for years, from my late teens into my twenties. They testing was a result of lethargy, fatigue, etc. Luckily, I had a concerned and thorough OB/GYN who insisted I get a second opinion after my primary did nothing. I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and had a complete thyroidectomy nine and a half years ago. At the time, acquaintences told me that I would never be able to have children. Obviously, I take thyroid replacement daily, and will for the rest of my life. I am and always have been on a monster dose (ranging from 250 mcgs to 400 mcgs a day). I am now thirty four and have a five and a half year old son and an eighteen month old daughter. I would think that it would be more detrimental to you not to take the medicine than to take it- you need to get that TSH as close to zero as possible. Being on replacement does not mean you will not be able to have children- I am living proof! Discuss this with your primary, your endocrinologist, and your OB/GYN, and make an informed decision that you can live with. Good luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us