Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Question: hyperthyroidism and hypoglycemia

luvumason - Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Hi, I am a 21 yr. old female that was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and hypoglycemia. My symptoms included dizzy spells, headaches, vomiting, weightloss, feelings of faintness, leg cramps, and for the last few weeks I have had mid back pain. I was wondering if all of these are symptoms of hypoglycemia and hyperthyroidism and how hyperthyroidism and hypoglycemia are related? I have been refered to an endocrinologist but, the soonest I can be seen is two months from now. Thanks for the help!
Leslie
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:25 pm

User avatar Your symptoms are nicely explained by the hyperthyroidism and hypoglycemia.

I suspect that when your hyperthyroidism is better controlled your hypoglycemia will improve. Hyperthyroidism increases the body's metabolic demand and makes sugar control more difficult.

luvumason - Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:05 am

Thank you so much. I started experienceing another problem last night. I was having trouble swallowing. Is that common? This morning I am fine though. My throat is just a little soar.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:56 pm

User avatar There are a few possibilities. One is that you may have had a dry throat that subsequently was irritated. A viral infection may also cause this.

Related to the hyperthyroidism, the thyroid gland can enlarge and press on the throat. This should be looked into also.

luvumason - Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:50 pm

Ok, thank you so much for all of your help!