Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Question: Elevated ACTH

mjak - Tue May 15, 2007 4:59 pm

I am a 40 yr old female with pcos. I have few periods, tons of facial hair and am obese. Over the last ten years in spite of being under the care of an endochronologist, trying to eat healthy I have been constantly ill with one thing or another. Recent blood tests from have come back showing an ACTH level of 103 with the range being 5- 27 pg/ml. I have had a 24 our cortisol done twice both times came back low normal with one being 5 and the other 7, normal range was listed as between 5 and 20. I can not recall the units of measurment. Currently, I am exhausted, dizzy, weak and for the last few weeks have weird stabbing headaches. My Endo says maybe late onset congenital adrenal hyperplasia but my 17- oh came back normal twice. I have had elevated DHEAS and Testosterone in the past but this time came back normal. I am obese and my endo was concerned about cushings, but these labs do not look like that .
Any opinions on what is wrong with me? Currently, I am yet again home from work sick, fever and headache and I really need to figure out what is wroing with me and how to get well.

thanks for any help
mjak
 mjak - Sat May 26, 2007 5:01 pm

Since posting my originally I have some new test resutls. The ACTH has been repeated twice, once it came back at 80 and the last time 92. I had am MRI of the pituitary which thankfully was normal. I am exhausted and sleeping about 13-15 hours a day.

mjak