Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Elevated ACTH

mjak - Tue May 15, 2007 4:59 pm

I am a 40 yr old female with pcos. I have few periods, tons of facial hair and am obese. Over the last ten years in spite of being under the care of an endochronologist, trying to eat healthy I have been constantly ill with one thing or another. Recent blood tests from have come back showing an ACTH level of 103 with the range being 5- 27 pg/ml. I have had a 24 our cortisol done twice both times came back low normal with one being 5 and the other 7, normal range was listed as between 5 and 20. I can not recall the units of measurment. Currently, I am exhausted, dizzy, weak and for the last few weeks have weird stabbing headaches. My Endo says maybe late onset congenital adrenal hyperplasia but my 17- oh came back normal twice. I have had elevated DHEAS and Testosterone in the past but this time came back normal. I am obese and my endo was concerned about cushings, but these labs do not look like that .
Any opinions on what is wrong with me? Currently, I am yet again home from work sick, fever and headache and I really need to figure out what is wroing with me and how to get well.

thanks for any help
mjak
 mjak - Sat May 26, 2007 5:01 pm

Since posting my originally I have some new test resutls. The ACTH has been repeated twice, once it came back at 80 and the last time 92. I had am MRI of the pituitary which thankfully was normal. I am exhausted and sleeping about 13-15 hours a day.

mjak

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us