Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: new tsh levels

kate - Wed May 30, 2007 12:41 am

i am a 27 yr old female grad student. in the past year my thick hair has thinned considerably (self-conscious!). had blood test and saw derm. everything ok except tsh levels were 4.8- told this was in normal range but the new recommendations advise not being above 3.0. I do have hair loss, scratchy eyes, and severe tiredness. i feel something is off with me despite living a very healthy lifestyle. i also fit some hyper symptoms though in that i have always been thin and have now began sweating too much!! my mom was recently found to have extreme damage to her thyroid and body as a result of thryoid problems. how do i go about finding out if i am developing a thyroid problem when my doc says the level is normal??
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed May 30, 2007 12:12 pm

User avatar At this point, really the best thing for you to do would be to have a repeat TSH test in a few months (2-6 months). Also, you should have a free T4 level tested.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us