Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Question: Will sibutrex cause cancer?

scdv - Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:02 pm

i am female/age-27 facing thyroid problem for more than 8yrs. 4yrs ago my doctor prescribed "sibutrex 10mg". i consumed sibutrex for 4 months and my weight also reduced by 30kgs. After that doctor asked me to stop taking sibutex. I am taking eltroxin and was maintaining weight in normal level. but after delivery, my weight has increased now. can i take sibutrex again now? is there any side effects? some of my friends are advicing that, if i consume weight reduction capsules, it will lead to cancer. Is it true? kindly provide me with the details.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:28 pm

User avatar From what I was able to find sibutramine (sibutrex) is not known to cause cancer. However, it is a drug with a complex mechanism of action and can have many drug interactions and side effects.

Before restarting this medicine I would recommend you talk with your doctor about all these things to be sure you are fully aware of the things to watch for.