Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Confused-Hashimoto's

bunnyhop - Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:30 pm

I am a 38 year old woman. In December of 06 I began to experience a series of panic attacks, a few in one day for a while which whittled away to general anxiety and has gone away. While this happened I dropped about 8 pounds within days. Since then I have gone in the opposite direction. I have put back on the weight in addition to another almost 10lbs, despite a good diet with regular exercise. I've actually been dieting and stepped up exercise cannot lose anything. I have never had this problem before and have always led a very active life. I am also tired and weak, something again, I have never felt before. I seem to constantly have muscle pains in my shoulders and chest. I frequently experience chest tightness. I've had an EKG and echo and my heart is fine. I also have the feeling of a lump in my throat. One dr I visited said my thyroid was enlarged, a sonogram was ordered and it was confirmed normal. My GP ran thyroid tests and I had high thryroid antibodies, both thyroid peroxidase and thyroglulin ab. My TSH was 1.18. In the past, normal TSH for me has been around .635. My doctor recommended I see a endo because he felt that this might be the cause of all of my problems. It should also be noted that since December 06, I have had numerous drug allergies (even to drugs I have taken with no problem before) and the doctor thinks that it is related. I saw one doctor who put me on 15mg of Armour. The endo said this was a pediatric dose but to take it if I felt better and ran yet more tests. The tsh was still around 1.18 and he told me NOT to take the armour. I am so confused as to what I am supposed to do at this point. I do NOT feel well or anywhere near like my old self. Some dr's treat antibodies, some do not. I am tired of feeling awful and do not know what to do. Two GP's told me that I am on my way to hypothryroid while the endo told me that just because I have antibodies doesen't mean I'll go hypo. I FEEL hypo already. What is the proper treatment after all? If anyone can help, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Misty
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:18 pm

User avatar Hi,

I am not an endocrinologist and I would recommend you follow your endocrinologist's opinion because his opinion would be best.

One thing I may have missed: What was your free T4 level? Also, was the elevation of anti-thyroid peroxidase and the thyroglobulin antibodies a significant one or were marginally increased?

As far as I know, you don't treat an antibody rise. However, the rationale of your doctor is that you are symptomatic and he believes this warrants treatment.

As far as I can tell if your thyroid hormones are normal and your TSH is normal then your symptoms are probably due to something else.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us