Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Blood test -diagnosis

Reena - Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:52 am

I m a 24year old female.I had undergone laser treatment for the removal of excessive hair on my cheekbones and upper neck area, but the hair continued to grow back.I underwent a hormonal blood test.
The doctor diagnosed a case of PCOS but since I have a family history of excessive facial hair on my paternal side , I m not convinced.I have regular periods too.

I would appreciate if an analysis of the report is provided .

LH(MEIA) - 26.00mIU/ml
FSH(MEIA) - 7.42mIU/ml
DHEAS - 406.00 mcg/dl
Insulin fasting(MEIA) - 6.8uIU/ml
free testosterone-4.18 pg/mL
prolactin(MEIA)-18.61ng/mL

Thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:47 pm

User avatar Hi Reena,

Your labs are all consistent with a diagnosis of PCOS. Your LH is elevated, your FSH is slightly low with an LH:FSH ratio greater than 3 and your testosterone is slightly high.

However, most people consider irregular periods a required criteria for PCOS. While your labs support this, most would agree you do not have PCOS based on your regular periods.

I would recommend you see an endocrinologist for further evaluation and recommendations .

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us