Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Panhypopituitary - Testosterone for Women

 cmbajb - Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:44 pm

I am a 45 year old panypopituitary woman, by way of Cushing's disease. I also have fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, osteoarthritis, Raynauds. I have been using Androgel for the past 6 years, successfully (better muscle tone, libido, bone density). Insurance has recently decided that they will not cover Androgel, or any testosterone for women. What is your opinion, and is there a good location for supportive medical material for my appeal? Thanks
 radgal - Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:50 pm

I am not one of the Medical Professionals on this site, but I have some questions for you regarding your clinical history.

You state that you have Raynaud's as well as osteoartritis, chronic fatigue and fibro. Raynaud's is an autoimmune disease. I am not certain if your Cushings is autoimmune- sometimes it can be.

My question: Has your physician considered that you have some sort of Rhuematic disease rather than FMS and CFS.

The reason I am asking is that fatigue is a major component of auto immune arthritis. When Cytokines are elevated, fatigue can be overwhelming and intense. There are many types of autoimmune arthritis: Rheumatoid Arthritis, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Myositis, Reactive Arthritis, Behcet's Disease..and that is only to name a few.

FMS does have the pain and fatigue component, but it will not have elevated inflammatory markers. Sedrate and C-Reactive Protien come to mind. The second is much more sensitive.

The fact that you have at least one AI disease, leads me to believe that your medical team should consider an alternative diagnosis.

There are many new and excellent treatments for autoimmune arthritis-they can give you your life back.

My last two questions: what other hormone replacement do you take and what is the dosage of Androgel.

 cmbajb - Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:40 pm

Thank you for replying. I have been out of commission for awhile and have just picked up this post. An AI condition has also come to the front of my mind recently, especiallly as my GP diagnosed me with osteoarthritis. This is too "catch all" and I have an appointment with a rheumatologist in a few weeks. I am concerned about how AI conditions can be accurately tested for me, as I am on steroids (prednisone and hydrocortisone) for the adrenal insufficiency, and prednisone has a carry-over effect from day to day. I use 1/5th of a 5 gm packette of Androgel, rubbed on my shoulders each day. I squeeze a full packette of Androgel into a needle-less syringe (12cc), and a 5gm packette equals 5cc's. This way I can dose out an accurate 1cc a day. This has worked well for me for 6 years.
 radgal - Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:44 pm


Please don't confuse osteo arthritis with auto immune arthritis-they are extremely different.

Even though you take prednisone, your MD will be able to test for inflammatory markers. At a minimum a Sedrate and C-Reactive Protien, a CBC panel, Rheumatoid factor, CPK, ANA should also be condsidered.

Research!!!! Google Autoimmune arthritis. There will be many different types. Check the symptoms-there may be other things going on inyour body that could be related to AI arthritis.

Check out a few online support groups. Rheumatoid Arthritis, Ankylosing Spondylitis and Myositis sufferers have large online groups. The members can be extremely helpful and supportive.

Don't give up. Remember FMS is way over diagnosed-inexperienced doctors often 'label' these patients without proper ongoing diagnostics. Sometimes these diseases take a while to become full blown-blood work isn't always positive; at the beginning the inflammation can come and go.

Good luck. let me know how you make out.


 cmbajb - Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:09 pm

Thank you for all the information!!! I'll be doing research and seeing a rheumatologist in a few weeks.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us