Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Can hypothyroidism cause diabetes?

edwardianactress - Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:18 am

I am a 38 yr. old female whose mom had hypothyroid and a goiter. She has diabetes and low temperature. So do I. I suffer from hypothyroidism, lupus, fybromyalgia, MVP, heart murmer, pericardial effusion, and hypoglygemia. I have suffered from collapsing for years. The Drs have no diagnosis. Lately it has become really bad. On bad days I collapse alot. I do not lose conciousness. Lately I have been falling into a sleeplike state about 30 minutes after eating. I am awake and can hear everything but cannot move, open my eyes, or talk. It starts off with me getting really angry all of the sudden, then I have to lie down no matter if I am driving walking or what, I have to rest where ever I am, even if it means pulling the car over or laying on the ground. It has been lasting for about an hour. For 3 days my stools have been black and tarry. I do not know what to do. I am at my whits end. Between the collapsing and the sleeping while awake, I have become non functional. The only thing I can think of is that I have become diabetic?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:20 pm

User avatar Hi Edwardianactress,

Regarding the title of your post, hypothyroidism does not cause diabetes; however, both are usually caused by an autoimmune process and autoimmune illnesses often occur together.

Diabetes could explain your symptoms although it would be a little atypical presentation. Checking for this is definitely worthwhile.

I would also recommend you have your thyroid levels checked again to make sure they are still OK.

You may also want to see a neurologist for their perspective on things as well.

Follow up with your doctor is important.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us