Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Question: My son has Laron Syndrome

charlottestevens - Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:54 am

Hi my son has recently been diagnosed with laron syndrome or growth hormone resistance. I am trying to find someone else that suffers with this or find out anymore information about the condition.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:11 pm

User avatar Hi Charlottestevens,

Laron syndrome is a condition where the body is unresponsive to growth hormone. There can be several reasons for this. Primary resistance is when growth hormone simply cannot activate the hormone receptor (often by a mutation in the receptor). This is the classic Laron Syndrome. Secondary resistance is when there is some other compound (such as an antibody) that is interfering with the interaction of the growth hormone and receptor.

One of the primary ways that growth hormone acts is to stimulate release of insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1). Treatment can be to give recombinant IGF-1. This can result in increased growth velocity and height.

Laron syndrome is an autosomal recessive inheritance. At this point, the exact frequency is not well known although the syndrome is not very common. It is mainly found in those of Jewish or Arabic descent but has been described in others.

It is important that your child follow up with a pediatric endocrinologist to help manage this syndrome.