Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Possible Klinefelter's?

 anonymous1 - Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:07 pm

Age: 24, M, 168 lbs 5'8"ht

In my genetics class in college, I found out about Klinefelters Syndrome. Basically, the reason I believe I may have it is because of a mild case of gynecomastia (the fat under the nipple feels firm with I squeeze my fingers in towards the nipple thus its not normal adipose fat).

First I tried to get into shape (used to be 185, now 166) to burn some fat and I did lose some fat around the chest, but I have the puffy nipples (although not as bad as some pics I've seen).

I don't take ANY drugs. I have some facial hair, but its not full, and very short/thin chest hairs... although I have hairy legs and armpits, on my navel to my pelvis... as well as some hair on my feet and fingers (i'm trying to be specific as possible). I have hips that I believe are a little bit wide, but I do have pretty broad shoulders. My testes aren't that small (measure at about 1.80 inches long). Plus I am not tall (another symptom that KS has but I don't exhibit... I'm an totally confused).

*What could be causing my gynecomastia?*

Also, I am going to get a testosterone check from a private lab (don't want it on my medical record)... would ordering a testosterone serum test be sufficient or should I also get a free testosterone test too?

Thanks for your time!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:16 pm

User avatar Hi Anonymous1,

From your description I would not be particularly suspicious of Klinefelters. As you've suggested, Klinefelters patients are often taller. They tend to have little body hair and classically have small testes.

Testing for Klinefelters is done by karyotyping from a blood draw.

Gynecomastia is fairly common, particularly in men that were a bit overweight. The reason for this is that fat cells convert testosterone into estrogen.

As you are loosing weight the gynecomastia will likely improve; however, it may take a while to fully resolve.

Testing of your testosterone levels may or may not give you any helpful information. A good place to start is with a total testosterone level. There is probably little need for other hormones at this point.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us