Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Gynecomastia

 hpwestham13 - Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:40 pm

I'm a male. 19 years of age. Had no surgeries other then tube placed in my ears when I was an infant. I have no long term history of Gynecomastia or pseudogynecomastia. I have been diagnosed with Gynecomastia when I was in my early teens. I have had many athletic exams being a very active soccer player. I am in good health and weight height are all in the norms. I eat very healthy. But still my case of Gynecomastia continues.

What the treatments for this, and their side effects. Could i have been misdiagnosed and really have something different. What are drug options- prescription or over the counter?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:08 pm

User avatar Hello,
This can be a very troubling condition but there are treatment options such as hormones, medications, and surgery. You may want to also get involved with others who suffer like this. It helps to know there are many other men who have it. You could also check out for information, treatments, and even photographs.

Good luck
 anonymous1 - Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:25 pm

Yes, I have this too... but I'm almost 25 years old!

Is the only way to get rid of this via surgery? (I heard that once you are passed puberty and its still present, the breast tissue will remain despite hormones/medicine).

I am 5'7" and 153 lbs... so I am NOT overweight.

I'm pretty sure I have a hormone imbalance (possibly hypogonadal at the secondary level.. not at the testes).
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:37 am

User avatar Hello,
There are hormonal treatments that help some men, especially adolescents but in many cases surgery is needed to remove the excess tissue. In many young men, the problem resolves on its own within three years so often the first line of treatment is watch and see. But if it causes discomfort and embarrassment, you may not want to wait it out.

There is a correlation with weight, so if you are overweight, reduction would be an important part of the treatment and prevention. Also, use of drugs and alcohol can interfere with hormones so it is best to avoid these and concentrate on healthy practices, including diet.

Good luck.
 mikeinca - Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:37 pm

I am a generally healthy, physically active 33 year old male. I first saw a doctor for gynecomastia when I was a teenager. It seemed to reappear in my early-mid twenties. It got noticeably worse after I used illegal steroids for 6-8 months in 2004. I have not used steroids since then but the breast tissue seems to be growing worse especially on the left side. Other potential causes of this could be medication for depression/anxiety I took throughout my twenties, alcohol use and marijuana use.

I had my blood tested last year and my testosterone levels were within the normal range but on the low end. My estrogen level was normal, so my doctor told me marijuana was not the cause so I still smoke pretty regularly. The doctor verified that I have gynecomastia and suggested I take zinc to help the symptoms. I've been surfing for 4 years and lifting weights on and off, back in the gym for the last few months. It's been my hope that cutting body fat and working on my chest at the gym would help the gynecomastia and it may be helping but it's hard to tell.

For about 3 weeks I've been taking Novedex XT, a testosterone booster that supposedly minimizes the production of estrogen. Also, to cut body fat I've been taking a low dosage of Hydroxycut Hardcore for the same time period. Both are not FDA approved. I want to know if you think I am doing the right thing here. The last thing I want to do is make it worse. I do not want to have surgery for this. Please advise and let me know if there are other non surgical solutions for my problem.
 ironbar - Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:39 am

i was wondering if after undergoing gynecomastia removal, it will return when you have low testosterone levels?
 nantisaa - Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:31 pm

Hello, i am a 15 year old male and i have had puffy nipples for 3 or 4 years.. i had never heard of gynecomastia until now and i am worried i might have it.. in the beginning there were disks under my nipples that made it so if i pressed on them it hurt.. now those disks are gone but my nipples are still large.. It is very embarassing for me to have such puffy nipples and i barely ever take my shirt off, so now even if i don't care about my nipples i am still embarassed that i am so pale. my nipples have been haunting me for a really long time.. if i did have gynecomastia would it even help for me to know i did!? because based on this and other threads the only "treatment" is surgery and i definately don't want surgery! I only have 7% body fat so it is not because of that, and i have pectorus (however you spell that) muscle so i highly doubt it is because of fat.. Please, anything would help.. thanks doc..
 gunnar - Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:47 am

i also have puffy nipples and have a verry low % of body fat i am 13 and am a big runner / biker i also have orthirexia witch is similar to anarexia except i was borin with it and had to drink half and half milk for a couple years cause my body fat % was so low . i defenatly jave disks under my nipples and i read this could be part of peuberty but i read about quite a few 20 or over people who had to get surgery. is there any way to avoid surgery like gaining body weaght cus all the people i read about where under weaght like me

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us