Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Question: Spironolactone vs. adrenal gland removal

fairycakes - Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:13 pm

31 F Functioning Adrenal Adenoma.

What are the pros and cons of taking Spironolactone vs having the Adrenal tumor removed.

From what I understand the spironolactone will not stop the tumor from overproducing the excess hormones but will bind to them and keep them from causing problems.

From what I have read on the above medication it has carcinogenic effects in the lab studies. If taking the spironolactone to stop the effects of the excess hormones, I would be taking the meds until menopause?

Is it better to have the adrenal adenoma removed and let the left adrenal gland take over and produce the hormones needed instead of taking the meds for a long period of time?

thanks for your help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:23 pm

User avatar Hi Fairycakes,

This is a bit of a difficult question. If there is a good surgeon that is experienced in this type of surgery, having the surgery is potentially curative.

The other perspective is that this is a surgery and there are certainly risks that go along with it.

Taking the spironolactone may help but also is not without its side effects.

My best advice to you is to talk with an endocrinologic surgeon about the procedure. This way you'll get all the benefits and risks explained to you so you can make an informed decision.