Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: What is most important feature in glucose monitor

backtowork - Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:19 pm

I am a new diabetic and would value your opinion on what is most important when choosing a blood glucose monitor? I know insurance is a consideration but would pay more if need be. Also, have you seen better results with any particular brand? Thanks for any info.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:36 pm

User avatar Hi Backtowork,

There are many different brands of glucose monitors available. Really they are all basically the same. Some have different types of strips that use less blood allowing more sights of the body to be used for testing. Others store test strips in the glucometer. Still others are smaller and more compact. All of them are reliable for glucose monitoring.

Basically, it comes down to finding one that you like. Some people will like some features so my advice is to get several together and take a look at them in the store to see which one you like.