Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: okay I have a question about homocystinuria

kaelansmom19 - Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:13 pm

okay here goes

when I had my second child she was born premature and I was hospitalized two weeks before the c-section and they had to run a bunch of tests and they never said anything to me but I was going through my daughters discharge summary and it stated that I was carrying 2 gene mutations for homocystinuria but that I had normal homocystine levels so they ran a pku test on her and she was fine. I looked up homocystinuria on the internet to see what it was and how it affected me but it kept saying if you have one mutated gene than you are a carrier and if you have 2 than you have homocystinuria. but I don't have it so what does that mean? how can I have 2 mutated genes and not have homocystinuria? I have no symptoms. please help me I am really freaked out.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:31 am

User avatar Homocystinuria is an autosomal recessive disease. This means as you said that you have to have both genes mutated in order to express the symptoms. I would advise you to get back to your doctor and ask him/her specifically about your gene results.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us