Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Diabetic Sores - Open Wounds

marysmiles - Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:22 am

My father is 85, has had diabetes for over 30 years. He is now in the nursing home and recently had a break out of several small open sores on both chins. The biggest is about a quarter's size and the other's dime size. The treatment has been (my spelling may be off on these) Tegaderm, Duoderm, & an Island Dressing patch. None of these are helping and the sores are getting worse. Any suggestions on what can be done to heal these sores & prevent more? I know getting his sugar under control will help, but at this point everyone is trying there best. Help!?

Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:56 am

User avatar Hi Mary,
    Diabetes can be very difficult to treat especially if it's not well controlled since it affects the other organs in the body. If your father has "sores" or ulcers that aren't healing with the current treatment, it of course needs changed. There are many treatments that can be tried, a wet to dry drsg, hydrogel, whirlpool therapy, etc., to name a few. As for prevention, if he is bed ridden, a turning schedule for the staff, preventing friction shears from linens, and padded side rails are a few suggestions. You may want to consider talking to the staff as well as his doctor about his nutrition and the other treatment options for ulcer healing. Hope this helps :)