Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Five year old with high blood sugars

 crystalsprowl - Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:32 pm

My son is 5, he will be 6 in November. He has not been feeling well lately. He has had stomach aches and one night he got clammy and cold. We took him to the ER and is blood sugar was 141. The doctor said that was normal. His father is Type I diabetic since he was 4 years old. We know that was a little high than it should be. When we test him his morning (fasting) blood sugar is 85-88 and then as soon as we put food into him it jumps anywhere from 141-167. That is testing before eating and 2 hours after. The doctor did an A1C and all the results said was it was "normal", it did not give a number. Should we take him to our local Children's Hospital and have him checked out by an Endocrinologist that specializes in pediatrics? If not, what else should I do.
 Shelly Hoppe EMTP - Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:10 pm

User avatar Greeting Crystalsprowl:

The hemoglobin AIC test is used to determine an average of your son's blood sugars over 2-3 months time. Normal AIC results for children under age 6 is 7.5-8.5. They are under 7 for adults. Normal blood sugar levels in children range from 70-120. Continue to monitor his blood sugar levels and keep your son's physician advised. Keep track of the levels and take this information with you to his next visit. As a Mom you know your son best. If he develops any new or concerning symptoms schedule an appointment to see his doctor right away.

Thanks for posting

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us