Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: young male...low testosterone/growth hormone? help!

 thestray916 - Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:11 am

Okay so I'm an 18 year old male, but I have some childish and/or feminine physical features, like shrunken small upper body (rib cage, chest) and wider than normal hip bones ( really low .75-.80 waist-to-hip ratio for male), lower body fat concentration, really emaciated/skinny, not very tall, and little facial or body hair. I think one cause of this might be that mother raised me without enough food and with a lot of soy milk and tofu all through childhood and puberty. I've read it somewhere and heard in that presentation you did that the high estrogen content of soy can interfere with hormonal development, so I'm guessing that's the main culprit, as well as unfortunate genetics, lack of exercise, and slightly off fetal development. As far as I know, I do have normal genitalia, though somewhat below average size, and no sign of female nipples or breasts. I think I might have had or still have low testosterone and low growth hormone levels.
But still I feel like I need to do something because I can hardly face the world with my non-masculine body, it's embarrassing, uncomfortable, and some people don't accept me. I was made fun of a lot, laughed at, and not respected or taken seriously at all in high school. Everyone thought I was "gay" and girly.
I was wondering what advice people have for me to get a more male appearance. Should I see an endocrinologist or what? Do you think hormone therapy is right for me? Growth hormone and/or androgen/testosterone or what? Also, what kind of dietary and exercise changes should I make as well as hormone and medical solutions?
I can tell more if anyone needs more information to help me diagnose and solve this problem.

 Chest_Shaker_Ed - Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:12 pm

To answer your question, your doctor can order a simple blood test to determine your testosterone levels; then you don't have to "guess" whether you have normal levels or not, and that can tell you IF you need to consider treatment for that condition. As far as your genetalia goes, "average" seems to be a range from 5" to 7" of penile length (rarely honestly measured it seems), so unless you are well out of that range, you are probably "average". Male secondary sex characteristics such as "hairyness" vary so widely around the world, that there is no real "average"; some guys are hairy some guys aren't; that doesn't make you any less "male" if you don't happen to be one of the hairy ones; literally billions of men aren't, and many that are have hairy chests at the expense of going bald in their middle-age years (male pattern baldness).

Just get the hormone tests done if your current state of development is bothering you and go from there based on the results.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us