Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Gynecomastia 17 year old

 gynecomastiaguy - Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:02 pm

Hello, I am a skinny 17 year old boy (180 cm, 64 kg) and I live a healthy lifestyle. I have been suffering from pubertal gynecomastia since I was 14 and I was wondering now that I have had it for three years is there still any chance that it could go away by itself ? It has decreased in size on the left side and is about 2-3 cm in diameter and about 4 cm on the right side and my nipples are still puffy. It is really affecting my life (can't go swimming and stuff) I have a few questions that I was hoping you could answer
1.I was wondering if surgery is my only option. Isn't there any chance that it will go away by itself as I grow older ?
2. I have also been reading about tamoxifen and maybe that could help me ?
3.I have also been wondering a lot if there is something wrong with my hormonal system since I have gynecomastia and I really havn't seen anyone my age dealing with the same condition. Could I have klinefelter syndrome or something like that ? Do you think I should get my hormones tested ?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:10 pm

User avatar Hi there --

First, you're in good company. Roughly 40% (that's close to half!) of teenage boys between 14 and 17 have some degree of this problem. It usually is self-correcting and will start to go away about three years after it first appears. This means your notice of some reduction is probably the beginning of this correcting itself now. However, if this doesn't seem to be going away fast enough to prevent putting a major cramp in your life then there are other options. Surgery is actually the simplest and safest as a rule, with a competent plastic surgeon doing some minor sculpting, and this can almost completely resolve those cases that don't resolve on their own or are considered large enough to be a liability. You also should be tested for Klinefelter's as a matter of course, if you haven't already (and it appears this hasn't been done). It's simple and can be treated effectively if present, but the problem as you describe it is so common as to be fairly unremarkable, although I sometimes feel doctors don't always realize how big a problem this is for the person affected. I'd be very assertive at this point about having it managed. Oh, and I'm not familiar with Tamoxifen use for this. Definitely have hormone testing done though, and have Klinefelter's ruled out. Other than that, it's wait or have it removed, whichever seems less of annoying.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here as needed.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us