Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Can I change my insulin dose?

 chadnellen - Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:03 pm

I was diagnosed with new onset uncontrolled type 1 diabetes on February 27, 2009 after a trip to the emergency room. I was released from the hospital after three days and put on glipizide twice daily. The doctor told me that the glipizide takes time to build up in my system so I waited. My blood sugar remained in the 400-500s. I was having very bad headaches, dizzy, weak, frequently going to the bathroom and very thirsty. I didn't think that the medicine was working so I went to a different doctor. She put me on all new medications including insulin. The original doctor put me off work due to my condition and was given my Family Medical Leave Act and Short Term Disability paperwork. After a month, I returned to see the original doctor. At that time, the paperwork was not completed and our jobs were on the line. Our company gave us an extension to have the paperwork turned in. The doctor was very upset that he had to do this and said that he couldn't promise anything. He finally filled out the paperwork, but because of his time delay, I did not recieve my short term disability check. I have no money, perscriptions at the pharmacy that I can't pay for, I'm short on food and gas, ect. I can't go see a new doctor because I don't have any money. The doctor that I saw changed my dose of insulin and said that he will see me again in a month. I know that this dose isn't working and I don't want to wait another month to get better. Are there free doctors that I can see, or can I be my own doctor and change my inculin dose according to what my blood tests are?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:12 pm

User avatar Hi chadnellen,
Changing from one doctor to another is not recommended nor is changing insulin doses without the direction of a physician. Have you kept a daily log of your blood sugar levels? Have you notified your physician's office to inform them of what your levels are and that your blood sugar levels remain uncontrolled? If you have not already done so I would suggest this to be the first place to start. It does take some time to find the right combinations of medications to bring your blood sugar levels within normal limits. Have you started an exercise program, for example walking, because this will also lower glucose levels. I hope this has been somewhat helpful.
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us