Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: low FSH, low LH, low Estrogen... but have period ??

 Krissy27 - Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:04 pm

I went to my doctor approx 2.5 months ago with many symptoms of hypothyroidism (large unexplained weight gain, insomnia, hair loss, always exhausted, joint pain, cold intolerance, constipation, forgetfulness depression...) I was also having two additional symptoms, no period in over 4 months (despite being o on birth control) and feeling of constant full / blocking in throat (even after one bite of food).

My doctor sent me for a variety of blood tests; the thyroid tests came back in the normal ranges however my hormone testing back with FSH and LH < 1 and my estrogen “shockingly low”. My doctor told me very little aside from secondary ovarian failure and high probability of a pituitary tumor.

I am going for an ultrasound today and an MRI has been scheduled for 4 months down the road. However, my period started this morning… and now I’m very confused!!

Can anybody fill in the blanks for me on what could possibly be wrong and what (if anything) I can do to find some answers. My doctor isn’t very forthcoming and I’m nervous to have a continued increase in these symptoms and no answers. I appreciate your time!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri May 08, 2009 9:00 pm

User avatar Hello --

While it's understandable that your doctor may be perplexed over this, that's no reason for the ball to be dropped at his office. Someone needs to follow this up, since if the thyroid panel results are correct it then goes back, very likely, to a pituitary problem -- and not necessarily a tumor although that is one possibility. An endocrinologist (if that's not what your doctor of record is) should be consulted at once, and perhaps this could get the MRI bumped up,as well as other appropriate tests done also. There's probably a very sound reason for all this, and it may well be readily medically manageable. Endocrinology is the consult needed, and if your doctor is an endo specialist then it's time for a change of doctor.

I hope this is helpful. Please follow up with us here as needed. Good luck to you and please keep us updated.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us