Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: I'm a 21 year old male but look/feel underdeveloped

 soxx03 - Wed May 20, 2009 8:22 pm

Hi I'm 21 years old and i don't feel nor look like most of my friends. I have very little facial hair and the facial hair that I do have are extremely thin and hardly noticeable. My body is also very unusual in the matter that I have really small hands, feet, fingers, a really thin neck, and my legs don't look proportional to my upper body (my legs are extremely skinny and small). It seems as if all the weight that I gain goes to my torso. I go to the gym often so I do have some muscle, but most of the muscle that I have are in my upper arms (biceps, triceps) and my chest and back, but I have very little muscle on my thighs and close to none on my calves. I work out most of my body but it seems like only my arms and chest get bigger. My bones also seem very underdeveloped and thin. I have TMJ so almost anything I eat will cause my jaws to crack. Anything from a banana to a small piece of candy could cause my jaws to crack. Eating around people can be really embarrassing, and trying to keep my jaws from cracking is close to impossible. My wrists, ankles, knees are also very thin and have no fat nor muscle which makes them crack at random times throughout the day. My nails are also extremely thin and they either look really purple or hot pink.

I try to talk to my doctor about these kinds of things but she always answers by telling me that i'm naturally skinny and I won't gain any weight until I'm around 25 years old, but a lot of what I think is wrong with me isn't all about my weight.

I just want to know if there's something wrong with me whether it be a tumor in my pituitary gland, low testosterone, low growth hormones, or whatever and how I go about getting help. Thanks, any advice and comments are appreciated.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:45 am

User avatar Hello,Some of the features that you mentioned are marfanoid,but may just be physiological too.Marfans is a connective tissue disorder inherited with long limbs,little fat,and hyperflexible joints.While my personal feeling is that you are just worried too much about your morphology,you might well rule out this cause by consulting a physician.If there is no family history,then this is most unlikely too.
 samin - Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:29 am

I'm 20 now but still i look like school boy.
that is my facial hair is very less , when i was in school i had quite more than now .
i don't know what the problem is ? what should i do to get more facial hair and body hair.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:40 am

User avatar Hi,The hairgrowth pattern ,if your sexual hairs and genitalia are normal are based on genes,race and hereditary factors.Hormone replacements do not work because the androgens would be in normal range but the difference being in the sensitivity of the hair root to the hormones.Possibly this sensitivity could change in years.Good nutrition,exercise are good to follow and help a lot in gaining confidence.Do let me know if you have any doubts.
 samin - Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:03 am

I'm 21 now but still i look like school boy.
that is my facial hair is very less , when i was in school i had quite more than now .
i don't know what the problem is ? what should i do to get more facial hair and body hair. i didn't get reply please reply
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:18 am

User avatar Hello,All of us try to look young and you should feel fine.Not all have heavy masculine features which have a genetic basis.If your sexual hairs like pubic and axillary hairs are normal,and testis normal do not worry about this,and many women may not like a too hirsute guy anyway.Ok?
 soxx03 - Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:32 am

Thank you Dr.M. Jagesh Kamath for your response. I have to agree with you in that I may be too worried about my morphology; it's just that I know I look different and anybody who sees me will agree. I have been eating a lot better and exercising often and now I am gaining some weight, but it seems like the more weight I gain the easier it is to tell how disfigured I am. I just don't understand why parts of my body (waist down, shoulders to finger tips, neck to top of head) will remain exactly the same while my core continues to thicken. Looking at my pictures as a child I looked just like I do now and now I'm just wondering if it's some kind of birth defect that I just have to accept, or if there's something, ANYTHING, I could do to help improve my image? Please respond, thanks doctor.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:38 am

User avatar Hello,There is some thing like Body dysmorphic disorder which I think many suffer from,also called imagined ugliness syndrome, problem of self image.You must get over this by exercise,good diet,and supportive friends.Ok?
 aman goyal - Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:51 am

Hello, i am a 19 year old boy.
i don't have any facial hair.
all my friends, etc have facial hair and i feel a bit outcasted by not having them.
I am an Indian (north indian) of the marwari caste n every one els in my house hav a lot of facial hair and body hair growth except me.
even my younger brother (4 years younger to me ) have beard but not me.
is there any thing that can help me?
i heard applying castor oil helps in growing facial hair faster, but i did not try anything till now.
please suggest me something.
thank you.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:05 am

User avatar Hello Aman,The fact that you have normal sexual hairs in the axilla and pubic area means that you are normal otherwise.Facial hair growth would be determined by many factors like race and heredity.Sometimes the growth would occur a little later.Castor oil would not help in hairgrowth.A balanced diet,and excercise would help you a lot and to get over the complex.Best wishes.
 srrrrri - Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:30 pm

sir, i'm a 19 year old guy and .i'm interested in masturbating. my penis will erect upto 14cm.but there is no ejaculation of sperm. but sometimes i used to have some sexy dreams when i'm sleeping. but at that time there will be ejaculation. can u clearly say the basic methods of masturbating and exactly the time it will take sperm to ejaculate? and i don't have tolerance to wait for the sperm to ejaculate.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:02 pm

User avatar Hello,It is not uncommon to have delayed ejaculation, if it only does not occur with regularity.Stress could be a factor if you are having ejaculation during night emissions.
There are two types.Lifelong vs situational.The earlier one is lifelong starting immedietly after puberty.The later related to delayed ejaculation occuring after a few years.
Generalized relates to all types of sexual activity masturbation,sex etc while situational relates to specific activity,partner or time.
Some medications could cause this too including illegal drugs and excess alcohol.Pschycological causes,prostatic infections,injury to nerves,diabetes etc.
Anxiety is the commonest cause in your age group.
Best wishes.
 MDapplicant - Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:40 am

I am a 24 y/o male and feel that I have stopped in the midst of puberty. For the last 4-5 years my body has stopped developing but I feel that I have now completed male development, I am 5'11", 235 lbs. I developed pubic hair when I was in my late teen years and also underarm hair; however, it is pretty fine and thin, especially under my arm (you almost cant tell). My penis and testicles are rather small, about 3"(flaccid, not large in diameter either) and 2" respectively. I have facial hair but it is not coarse, just as soft as the hair on my head. I am concerned that I may have some pituitary or gonadotropin issue, I am just too modist to go visit a doctor. Is this something that should be a concern, anything that I can try before seeing a doctor?
 kkk - Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:34 am

I am 23 years old male. I still look like a 16 17 year old. when i was 17, i got a sparse moustache,sparse underarm hair...then there has been no further improvement for last 6 years..i don't have any sign of beard or chest hair other than a few hairs at tip of chin. could this be a case of low testosterone levels?. Is there any treatment available? I have varicocele in one testes for past many years..could these be related? thanks in advance..

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us