Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Docs won't listen to family history!

MizJay - Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:40 am

I'm looking for some advice before I go to yet another doctor.
I have always exhibited the symptoms of an underactive thyroid, which runs in my family. I've decided to seek help because my weight is increasing more quickly lately.
I have not changed my pattern of diet and exercise recently. I normally get the recommended amount of exercise and do not overeat, but I have ALWAYS been "stocky" and found it hard to lose weight, in addition to being depressed, tired, and almost all the other things which go along with hypothyroidism.
I take the Depo-Provera injection, which in some cases causes gradual weight gain, but my recent weight gain is NOT normal and I know it! I would estimate that I have gained 20 lbs in about 4 months with no negative lifestyle change.
I am alarmed, and so have gone to see a general practitioner. I explained my family's hereditary conditions which include the thyroid problem and type-2 diabetes. The doctor didn't seem to take me seriously, telling me that if I were a diabetic risk I'd be UNDERweight. My two diabetic great-aunts were fat! The doc sent me for generalized bloodwork. My blood sugar came up normal at the time and the thyroid test was just insde the normal range--no one explained the tests, I just got a paper in the mail with the results, a bunch of numbers I didn't understand.
This is not in my head, I am not the type to run to doctors for every little thing. In fact, I rarely go when I probably should!! I know something is not right. What should I do now? Ask for another test? See an endocrinologist? See another general practitioner and wait for a referral? I'm so lost and I can't imagine gaining another 20 lbs. I'm only 5-foot-two!!
Any advice you have will be so appreciated!!
 Kathy C, RN - Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:21 pm

Hi Miz Jay, I am sorry that you feel yourr physician is not really listening to you. I found this web site that may help explain your test results to you and to offer some insight as to diagnosing hypothyroidism.
http://www.mercola.com/article/hypothyr ... gnosis.htm
I believe seeing an endocrinoligists is a great idea.
i hope this helps.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us