Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Question: normal body temperature has changed, is this normal?

msbeach40 - Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:05 pm

Is is normal for a persons normal body temp to change? My normal temp is about 97.6. lower in the am (97.3) and higher in the pm (98.1). For the past 3 weeks my temp has changed am 98.2 and pm 98.8. I recently had a physical with all normal results except a slightly elevated calcium level (10.6), doc is not concerned about this and we will check it again next year at my physical. Could the change in body temp and calcium level be related? Should I be concerned about the temp change? And, is it ok to wait a year to recheck calcium levels?

thanks
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:28 am

Altered thermoregulation is increasingly being studied in relation to the calcium homeostasis. Lots of work is on-going to elucidate the role of calcium levels and how they may affect the 'blood-brain barrier' and thus affect thermoregulation.
It appears that calcium has an important role in this regard.But.....
It may prove to be more than difficult to get a conclusive proof regarding this at the present time.Your doc is probably correct after-all!!
Good luck!