Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: swollen feet and legs

 marski - Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:38 pm

About 1 year ago my father-in-law woke up and couldn't stand up. Both his feet were swollen, red and he had intense pain, he couldn't stand or walk. The swelling and redness advanced up his calves. His doctor tested him for lyme disease, which was negative, then sent him to a rhuematologist who put him on steriods. The problem is still not solved. They don't know what is wrong with him and his doctor says he will just have to live with it, which would be fine if he knew what " with it" was. He has asked his physician if he should see a vascular specialist since it feels like his feet and legs are on fire and when he stands it is like there are needles sticking him. The Dr told him he doesn't have a vascular problem.

He wants to go see someone, he is at his wits end, he just wants some sort of answer as to what is wrong. Although I am not a physician I have worked in the medical field for over 20 years it seems to me that seeing a vascular specialist might be what he needs to do. With his feet and legs inflammed and painful it I'm concerned that he could have periphiral vascular disease of vasculitis. He has emphysema so perhaps he is not getting the circulation that he needs. We don't know where to turn.

 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:50 am

User avatar Hi marski,
I have a some questions for you. Is your father a diabetic? Were there any vascular studies done to rule out venous insufficiency? Was an ultrasound performed to rule out any disorders such as a blood clot? Labwork anything? (By the way these tests can be ordered by a General Practitioner/ Family Physician) Certain medications cause swelling, as well as heart, liver and kidney conditions among a slue of other things. When I think of peripheral vascular disease, I think of cool, pale, extremeties. Pain, tingling or numbness may also present as symptoms. In my opinion he shouldn't have "to live with it" and not know what "it" is. I would suggest not asking "should I be referred to a cardiologist" I would say I want a referral to a cardiologist or to a physician whom is going to take the time to evaluate and at least suggest what the problem could be and not just say your going to have to live with it. I would consider that to be an infrequent response of a physician and I'm sure that you will find that it isn't the general norm.
 marski - Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:29 pm

Thanks for the reply. I should have been more informative in my original post, sorry. He does not have diabetes or any condition other that emphysema, has had all kinds of blood tests done, all negative for gout or liver or kidney problems. I agree that the response he is getting is a cop out response and an irresponsible one at that.

I will tell my father in law what you suggested, I will keep you posted. Thanks again


| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us