Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Type 2 Diabetes, Hypertension and Alcoholic Beverages

griffin1322 - Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:54 pm

Diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and Hypertension also very high triglyceride levels. I would like to have an alcoholic beverage on occasion and would like to know which is the lesser of the 2 evils - Bud Light or Captain Morgan Spiced Rum (mixed with Coke Zero)?
 Dr. N. Haider - Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:34 am

User avatar Hi
Welcome to the forums.
I am not very well aware of alcohols, having read your question I have searched the internet and wikipedia.
All alcoholic drinks are classified according to a term called 'alcohol by volume' (ABV).
Cider. beer, wine etc have an ABV content from 2-18%, while vodka, rum, gin, whiskey etc have a value of 30-60%.
I'd say that Bud Light is the lesser of two evils(4.2%), rather than you having Captain Morgan Spiced Rum undiluted.

I hope that helped.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us