Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Mass in my neck around the thyroid.

staceyb.241958 - Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:38 pm

I recently went to my primary physician for my yearly exam and asked him about a "lump" that I happened to have noticed a few weeks earlier. He said that he wasn't sure what it was, it could be a cyst or a parathyroid mass. He said I should see an ENT physician, referring me to someone. After reading information on this and other web sites, I'm wondering if I should go straight to an Endocrinologist. Am I wasting time with a step that seems unnecessary, both in time value and monetary value?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:35 pm

User avatar Hi,
I feel that a 'necessary' step is always better to consult with your GP first. He/she will be able to certainly direct you to the right person.
From your query, i can only guess that you have a 'lump', perhaps in the front of your neck(neck is anatomically a fairly 'wide' area).
I, for example, don't know its size, how it feels, its mobility, its relationship to the thyroid etc.
It will be kind of you to supply a little more detail so that we can try to respond better.
Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us