Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: does losing alot of blood at onset of puberty limit growth? - Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:03 pm

or possibly delay it?

I was admitted like 6 or 7 times in a span of a year to a hospital because my parents thought i was out of control because of some mental illness so they took me to inpatient mental units of hospitals

this happened when I was 12-13, right before or at the onset of puberty

do you think losing that much blood(4 or 8 cylinders at a time, 6 or 7 times over a year) can stunt my growth

or cause me to be anemic?

i am now 16 and i am not as developed as i would like to be
i also feel fatigued often
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:10 pm

User avatar Hello,
No, this would not inhibit or delay your growth. Anemia can be checked easily so if you believe your fatigue may be caused by this, have it tested. In the meantime it can't hurt to eat foods that are high in iron such as whole grains, meats, egg yolks, dark veggies and beans, apricots and raisins.

The amounts of blood taken for testing - even multiple vials - does not amount to enough to cause anemia.

Your stature has a lot to do with your genetic makeup so if your parents are short, you may be as well. There is not much you can do to change that. Also, the onset of your periods often results in no further height growth. Puberty age and growth varies with the individual. You might schedule a well child exam with your doctor to review your growth patterns, puberty and family health history.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us