Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Question: Low TSH,Low SHGB,erectile dysfunction?

Kostas - Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:52 pm

I was tested and found out that i had a low SHBG-8 ( range is 10-50) and the doctor gave me another set of exams in which i found out that i had low TSH but normal 0,86 while the range is 0.5-5 . I had these tests because i experience erectile dysfunction and i found a bit conflicting to have low SHBG ( which leads to Hypothyroidism) and low TSH (which leads to Hyperthyroidism). Could there be something wrong with my pituitary? Any ideas? Is it normal?

Also I have an enlarged prostate...do you think that this is connected with any of these??
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:40 am

User avatar Hello,Low SHBG levels are found in hypothyriodism but per se low levels will not lead to hypothyroid status.
This test gives an idea about as to whether active free testosterone is available or is bound to this globulin.
Despite normal testosterone levels if the testosterone is mostly bound to globulin it wont be effective.Here SHBG levels would be increased and could cause erectile dysfunction.
Conversly if SHBG levels are low indicate that free testosterone is available.Obesity can reduce these levels too apart from hypothyroidsm,and cushings.
Hope this answers your question.