Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Question: Lipodystrophy caused by Vit D deficiency?

JakeHass - Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:25 pm

25 female. I developed non-AIDS lipodystrophy that makes it uncomfortable to sit, walk, etc. because of loss of padding. I also had a severe Vit D deficiency and after taking D3 for a few months, the lipodystrophy improved a little. Could this be the cause of it in the first place? Might it continue to improve or do fat cells die? I supposedly don't have diabetes, a thyroid condition, or an adrenal condition. Is there any other endocrine cause to which lipodystrophy might be related?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:32 am

You have not given details of the type of non-HIV lipodystrophy that you suffer from.From the given description, i tend to assume that it is a generalized lipodystrophy (because the 'partial' form tends to involve the face rather than the gluteal regions).Your description does not fit the 'localized' form as well.

Vitamin D deficiency per-se has not conclusively been shown to be the cause of lipodystrophy. But, resistance to insulin &/or vitamin D has been observed in some of the cases.
Some types of lipodystrophies may be associated with osteopenia, osteosclerosis and myopathies.

There are a vast variety of syndromes which are associated with non-HIV lipodystrophy.

You will need to be investigated fully before a firm diagnosis is arrived at.