Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Question: Caused my Hyperthyroidism?

Ken - Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:36 pm

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism earlier this year and will receive radioactive iodine treatment in 2 weeks. I have no history of thyroid disease in my family, no goiter, no hot nodule. My curiosity as to the cause of my disease has led me to the following possibility: 10 years of amateur bodybuilding meant taking powdered meal replacements (Myoplex, MetRX, etc.) that are high in iodine (50% RDA per serving). I took about 4 servings per day for almost 10 years (about 200% of RDA per day). Could this have caused my hyperthyroidism?
 Dr. Shank - Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:31 pm

Dear Ken:

I think that this and your companion posting are the oldest unanswered endocrine questions in the Forum. I hope that you will still get this reply.

High intake of iodine can cause hyperthyroidism in persons who already have thyroid gland abnormalities. From your description, however, I assume that you have Grave's hyperthyroidism. Most likely, you would have become hyperthyroid anyway.

It is too late now, but I hope that the physician who prescribed your radioactive iodine therapy was aware of your high iodine intake, because that would reduce the amount of radioactive iodine that was taken up by your thyroid gland to less than he would otherwise expect.
 Dr. Shank - Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:31 pm

Dear Ken: