Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: erectile dysfunction at 19?

 Sam2141 - Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:54 am

Hi, I’m 19 and would consider myself healthy, I drink a fair bit as a student but don’t and never have smoke, don’t take any drugs, attend the gym and exercise and am on no medication. The first time I tried to have sex I was very drunk so I put the fact I could not keep an erection down to alcohol. However when I tried to have sex with my current girlfriend the same thing happened. This time I put it down to nerves as I had never had sex before. However I still can’t maintain an erection during sex, and what makes me think it’s more than just a physiological issue is that I also find it hard to maintain when my girlfriend is just doing other stuff, or even when I’m masturbating myself, my penis often stays hard in such situations for about 5 minutes and will then go to a semi-hard state, then when I ejaculate it goes back to a hard state again. I have recently been to the doctor who has done a blood test and the results came back perfect except it said I had a low blood count, but I’m going for a repeat test in about 2 weeks as apparently this result can often occur and is nothing to worry about. I am just wondering what I can do next, are there any serious but rare diseases that can affect my age range causing the problem or could it really be physiological even when masturbating myself?
Thanks for taking the time to read
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:23 am

User avatar Hello,
From your descriptions it looks as if the inability to achieve erection has been after an alcoholic binge. Possibly, this has led to performance anxiety and thus the inability the second time. This is known as psychogenic ED (Erectile Dysfunction). Since you are normal otherwise, with sexual hairs and proper height and weight, it is unlikely that you may have congenital syndromes associated with ED like Gonadal dysgenisis etc. ED is defined as a consistant inability to achieve and mantain a erection for a sufficient satisfactory intercourse.
Apart from psychogenic ED, Vasculogenic, Neurogenic, Endocrine causes and drug related causes are the known factors.
Certain tests like noctornal penile tumescence (NPT) testing and doplar scans and cavernosgraphy to identify venous leaks are used in practice.
Psychotherapy, vacuum devices, intracavernous injections and sildenafil (viagra), are the different modes of treatment based on the clinical and laboratory tests. Surgery maybe indicated for venus leakage.
If your having night erections, the possibility of anything abnormal is unlikely. However, it would be prudent to consult a specialist to treat ED.

Best Wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us