Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Reversal of type 2 Diabetes

12diamonds - Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:52 am

I have seen a number of articles and books saying that type 2 diabetes can be reversed with diet and exercise. Obviously the authors want you to buy their book but I don't want to be conned. Can anyone tell me if this is possible before I go and buy one of these books? All advice welcome.

Regards

Diamond
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:54 pm

User avatar Hello,
I have seen actual cases where this was reversed, particularly when excess weight was shed. For a person who is morbidly obese, weight loss surgery has often resulted in the diabetes (type 2) going away. In type 1 the pancreas is not producing insulin but in type 2 the body isn't able to regulate and use the insulin it makes properly. This is why type 2 may be reversed while type 1 cannot.

Exercise and diet can result in weight loss and thereby the same kind of reversal. I don't know anything about the book, but if it is about weight loss in obese patients, I do understand this to be correct. Beyond that I can't say what kind of diet and exercise might do this. The cases I know of all needed to lose weight and they were cured when they did so.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us