Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Need thyroid help!

Rascal-wv - Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:20 pm

Hi,

I am a 43 year young lady who has Hoshimotos Thyroiditis/Hypothyroidism. I have been having a lot of problems with fluid weight gain that seems to be getting worse. In the past four months I have gained 35 pounds (I know it is not all fluid), just in the past two weeks I have gained 12 pounds I am sure this is fluid, it feels like I am "swelling up". The fluid gain is abdominal (upper and lower), hips, and legs (upper and lower. There is a dent left behind when I apply pressure. My head has been hurting for over 2 weeks. A few times in the last two weeks I have felt light headiness just not real bad. I take Synthroid 50 mcg,
I used to be on 88 mcg (about 5 months ago) could this be my problem?

Thank you,
Rascal-wv :(

Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun May 01, 2005 5:42 am

User avatar Hello Rascal-wv,
It could be the problem. I think you need to check your hormone levels (especially TSH).

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us